A big FAT problem


The dangers of children relying on junk food despite their low nutritional value, have caused major concerns on their health.

THE expression “junk food” tends to bring to mind additive-coated snacks contained in brightly coloured packaging, sweets and cakes of numerous variety and takeaway meals from fast food chains.

In other words, the stuff of many a child’s fancy.

It is no new revelation that many of these snacks have a high content of sugar, salt and fat, as well as artificial flavouring such as monosodium glutamate (MSG) .

With reports heralding the dangers of children relying on junk food despite their low nutritional value, major concerns have been raised about the health of an entire generation.

Weighty issue

Governments worlwide are bracing themselves for an “obesity epidemic” soon. This condition can potentially lead to a range of health problems such as heart disease, diabetes and even premature death.

Worryingly, there has been a rise in cases of obesity among children, and many studies indicate a link between the consumption of junk food to obesity in children.

Advertisers and manufacturers of junk food, face the most criticism for their marketing ploys, such as including toys with products or placing advertisements during children’s television programmes.

A WHO report entitled Marketing of Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages to Children published in 2006 said there was evidence to prove that advertising of food high in fat, sugar and salt has a direct effect on children wanting and eating these unhealthy foods which lead to obesity.

Additionally, a survey across six Asian countries including Malaysia conducted by Consumers International observed that there has been increased production and marketing of fatty and sugary food aimed at children.

With revenue from fast food advertising on TV, newspapers and billboards in Malaysia totalling over RM100mil annually, consumer associations have repeatedly called for bans in junk food promotion.

In a statement issued by McDonald’s Malaysia, vice president of marketing, corporate communications and business/consumer insights Stephen Chew indicates that it is unfair to hold manufacturers responsible for children’s food choices.

“It is important to note that McDonald’s represents only a small portion of Malaysians’ overall food choices.

“In Malaysia, our own sales figures show that children visit us an average of only twice a month,” he says.

He adds that McDonald’s offers a wide range of food and drink options that enable customers to balance their diet in line with their individual needs.

“Parents can select any combination of main, side and drink to suit their children’s taste buds and required daily intake.”

While debate between manufacturers and activists rages on, it is interesting to note that the Health Ministry’s third Health and Morbidity Survey conducted in 2006 reported that 13.2% of children between one and 18 were underweight, 15.8% were stunted and 5% were overweight.

As these are the latest statistics obtained, it would seem then, that more Malaysian children are undernourished than the opposite.

Ashveen Singh, 13, is a dedicated fan of fast-food restaurants.

Take-away food

“Pizza is my favourite!” he says, adding that his family frequented fast-food chains or ordered take-aways as often as three times a week.

“Usually I just keep asking my parents to go out until they give in. If my mother makes dinner and I don’t like it, I just order a delivery to my house.”

Ashveen’s response to school lessons on the importance of a balanced diet is to reduce them into his own terminology; vegetables are “disgusting”, bread and rice are “boring”, meat is “useless” unless it arrives deep-fried with the right condiments.

Based on interviews conducted, it appears that the above example is the exception to the norm.

“I like fast-food, especially fried-chicken, but my parents will only take the family out maybe once a month,” says 12-year-old Tan Mei Yin.

“I don’t really eat sweets or chocolates either,” she adds, citing a preference for fruit instead.

Shireen Liew, 11, says that her parents’ constant warnings about the detrimental effects of eating too much junk food have influenced her choices.

“I do still buy snacks like potato chips and sweets after school sometimes,” she admits.

“But I know that they’re not very good for me, so I make sure that I don’t eat them too often.”

“I tend to block out what my parents say when they lecture me about what I eat,” says Johan Sulaiman, 15.

“I don’t think a couple of burgers and soft drinks once in awhile are going to make that much of a difference.”

For some students, junk food is seen as a temporary measure to keep hunger at bay.

“I usually skip breakfast because I don’t have the appetite for anything early in the morning,” says Siti Sakinah, 14.

“I’ll just grab some candy bars to munch on if I feel hungry before recess.”

Reuben Arokiam, 12, has a similar habit, stashing a bag of crisps in his bag when he is out playing football.

“I don’t know why, but I get really hungry after I play a match - maybe it’s all the exercise!”

For Michelle Lim, 12, the urge to buy junk food kicks in when her mother goes through “her healthy-living moods”.

“After the carrot sticks and wholewheat bread my mother packs for recess, I just crave something like chocolate.”

Michelle adds that the convenience store located opposite her school is the perfect place to make her sweet purchases.

Her brother, Nicholas, claims to only consume fizzy drinks when he is feeling stressed.

“My favourite drink is water actually,” says the nine-year-old, while sipping on a can of cola.

“But sometimes after a tough day at school, it’s nice to have a treat. It makes me happy.”

Parent Priscilla Lai is vigilant in her war against junk food for the sake of her family’s well-being.

“If I had it my way, I will just ban junk food from being sold at all!” she exclaims.

Lai has in place a list of “banned” foods for her nine-year-old son Sean, which include refined sugar and processed foods.

Every meal is home-cooked using organic produce - with low salt content of course.

“My family has a history of high blood pressure and diabetes, so I need to make sure Sean’s diet doesn’t increase the risk of him developing health complications,” she elaborates.

Being cautious

Sean is well aware of these risks, with his working knowledge of phrases such as “trans-fat”, “antioxidants” and “empty calories” - terms that some adults grapple with.

“I stay away from junk food because I don’t want to be fat,” says Sean.

“Especially since they (junk food) have “bad fat”, which clog up your arteries and might give you a heart attack.”

Lai concedes that it is not easy to impose this regiment, but remains disapproving of parents who allow their offspring access to unhealthy foods.

“I suppose they just want to take the easy way out. They don’t care about the damage they are inflicting — on their children.”

While it is unlikely that parents would intentionally lead their children to poor health conditions, some express a resignation about providing the right options for their children.

“I’m always full of good intentions,” says Stella Ng, a mother of two.

“But after I get home from a gruelling day at work, it’s easier to just order some delivery.

“I wish I could say that this is a one-off practice, but it occurs more often that I’d like it to.”

Joseph Arokiam admits to “bribing” his children with chocolates when he wants them to obey his instructions.

“I feel bad for using junk food as motivation, but unless I’m up for a long-drawn argument, there’s no better way to get them to listen to me.”

Parent Noraidah Hassan thinks that it is fine for children to eat junk food as long as it is controlled.

“We just need to maintain moderation in whatever we eat and teach our children to do the same.”

She recalls of her own schooling days, when local delicacies such as ice kacang were commonly enjoyed by students.

“I suppose those things are considered unhealthy now, but back then our parents didn’t kick up a fuss.

“They were just treats to be enjoyed once in a while.”

Shifting focus

Nutrition Society of Malaysia president Dr Tee E Siong says that instead of jumping the gun on condemning junk food, parents might want to focus on the ingredients involved in such foods.

“Local hawker fare, such as nasi lemak, roti cannai and so on can be just as unhealthy as what’s sold in fast food chains.”

“What’s best is to teach them on healthy eating habits from young.”

According to Dr Tee, children as young as one can benefit from nutrition education.

“You can get your children to talk about food and you need to lead by example.

If you get them actively involved, then it’s easier for them to understand the importance of a balanced diet.”

He also warns against parents who monitor their child’s eating habits too much, as that might reap adverse results.

“Your child might end up being repulsed with everything and develop unhealthy eating habits,” he explains.

Noraidah offers her philosophy for consideration: “Explain the facts to children and allow them to enjoy all varieties of food.

“The most important thing is for them to have a positive relationship with food - then healthy eating will follow.”


Template by:

Free Blog Templates